Vice President, Strategy and M&A
Cactus Communications (www.cactusglobal.com) is a tech-enabled scientific communications company that works with researchers on the B2C side and with life science companies on the B2B side. CACTUS is an innovation-driven business, has been voted to be among the best companies to work for over several years, and has a very fun, supportive, and caring culture.
Over 300,000 researchers across all major disciplines use our platform (www.editage.com) to achieve higher career impact through domain-specialized, high value content and editorial services. CACTUS also runs a large researcher support platform that enables researchers to advance their knowledge base, get access to relevant training programs, and access career development tools including a part-time / full-time jobs portal. CACTUS’ platform is very popular with leading research communities in China, Korea, and Japan, and the company is now rapidly expanding in India, Europe, and the Americas.
On the B2B side, CACTUS provides specialized communication services to pharmaceutical companies and biotech firms. This typically takes the form of customized content, data analysis reports and synthesis, infographics, animation and other material required to communicate with physicians, regulators, and the general public.
Scientific research has been the raison d'être for the progress of human kind. Yet, scientific research itself is beholden to antiquated processes that have not changed significantly in 500 years. CACTUS is reshaping the way research is conducted to improve its pace and effectiveness.
We are looking for leaders who want to reimagine research and communications, together with us. This is a role for someone who will emerge as a top leader in CACTUS over the next 2 years.
This position reports to the Co-founder & Executive Chairman of Cactus Communications.
The Key role(s) played by this position are the following:
- Develop an incisive understanding of CACTUS’ different business lines, the industries that each business line operates in, and the industry structure
- Be able to relate the understanding / insights of each business line with current and forecast numbers, market share(s) etc.
- Manage strategy projects / consultants to achieve (a) and (b) above
- Develop a point of view on the key objectives for each line of business and the strategic levers to be exercised to accomplish those objectives. Strategic levers could either be -
- Tweaking /changing the organization: change structures, create new structures, hire / reassign people, etc.
- Reshaping / rethinking the way the organization is managed
- Inorganic opportunities to realize this vision
- Brainstorm, create and implement structures to align the different business and functional units within CACTUS
- Play a clear role in managing the organization alignment / structure through which CACTUS can realize the synergies from the investments it has made in other companies – including post-merger integration
- Have a clear insight into industry disrupting trends, especially the emergence of alternative platforms, the role of artificial intelligence
What will make you successful in this role:
- Strong analytical abilities starting with financial analysis, but an ability to understand the forces of business above and beyond numbers
- Problem-solving mindset and an attitude to take things to closure
- Love for technology and the desire to understand it deep.
- Ability to work independently – although there will be a lot of coaching and mentoring support early in the role
- Empathy and willingness to engage with people – in a friendly way, beyond hierarchy
- Ability to work with people across cultures and countries